Monday, June 13, 2011

Green Thumbs

 My amazing husband put this dream I had of a patio, in for me this spring, and I couldn't be happier.
Our first attempt at gardening is a success!!!  We will probably have to learn to can vegetables next because we will not be able to keep up with eating all of this.
 
We have obviously been busy and I have been out of the blogging business for a couple months.  I have always loved to plant flowers, but before now had never attempted vegetables!  We have an assortment of tomatoes, white sweet corn, zucchini, summer squash, green beans, peppers, strawberries, romaine lettuce, broccoli, and carrots.  WHEW and they all fit into our 2 raised garden beds.  With plenty of natural fertilizers, sun, and water...they are growing ENORMOUS.  Now we are going to have to research how to harvest each plant.  We have already had some delicious romaine, and almost all of our plants are already producing more vegetables.  

Our next adventure was a homemade composter for our yard...and is seeming to cause us more trouble than the garden itself.  We can't seem to get the perfect mix of greens and browns, although we are learning quickly.  Hopefully soon we will be buying a rain barrel for watering our garden!!!!


I absolutely love my backyard full of flowers and plants!  I just can't stop trying to be green and my husband is addicted to saving a dime :).  Together, we are unstoppable in the world of all things green...hopefully our neighbors don't mind.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the flowers and plants in your backyard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I remember your mom always in the yard doing something, you're just like her :)

    ReplyDelete